Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 4 weeks ago

Stage 3 Colon cancer what happens next?

My nana was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer this past Aug. She turned 80 in Aug. she had surgery to remove I guess part of the cancer in her colon back in September. The doctor said it was a success. Before the surgery she was kinda okay. She was in pain. But we were able to talk and converse. She would speak on the phone. She had lost a oil weight dies too her diabetes but that was it. After the surgery, she had been remaining in pain and speaking very little or not at all. Anyway the hospital transferred her to a rehab facility to help her do therapy and get better. Due to covid we wasn’t able to see her only in video call. She was there for 2 weeks. They told me that she was doing good...then I finally got a clear video call from her on behalf of a nurse she was not doing better to me. Better would be her talking instead of frailing her arms around and closing/opening her eyes. They sent her gone the same week. I’m not her proxy my brother is and he isn’t that bright but. I wanna know if they just gave up on her cause she isn’t making progress. She’s back at home and she has lost more weight and I think she’s getting morphine shots. I’m reading others doing chemo after theirs surgery. My grandmother isn’t getting chemo, and they sent a chaplain to pray over her. And does this mean they can’t do nothing else for her? They gave her 3-6mons. I just need to know what can I do if anything to prolong her if I can 

• Tavy
    Favorite Answer

Sorry to say your Grandmas age is against her. They will not do Chemo as her age as it will finish her off. The cancer might have spread to other parts of her body.

Just enjoy the time you have left with her.

First, I understand this is hard for you.  I am not a medical professional - I can only speak from losing a parent to colon cancer.   First, if  a doctor or HOSPICE has said 3-6 months, then you need to know they probably did not see the result they were hoping for or her overall health has suffered.  In my family member's case, they did the resection surgery which gained them four good years.  But at 4.5 years the cancer came back with a vengeance.  It metastasized to bone, optic nerve, brain and liver spots presented as well and they were gone in 4 months.   Age is against her as noted in the previous comment, but on the other hand, the mental battle is important.   Pain decreased hunger for my family member, and morphine does not stimulate appetite.  Smell tends to get weird for cancer patients and eating or feeding to sustain or add weight doesn't really work. Rather than prolong, maybe just try to make the quality of her life better.  Good pillows, her favorite music, reading books (to her if necessary)  or movies, pictures, touch, memories that are light-hearted, visitors that remind her people love her and care. Deterioration isnt typically gradual. It may be fits/starts, a few ER calls or visits... just do what you can and having someone to help/relieve the primary care-giver is tremendously helpful.  Not sure what state you live in, but Homestead Hospice is one of the kindest and most helpful hospices  - with a volunteer staff in addition to the medical staff - who can mow lawns, do the dishes and otherwise help carry the load. 

I pray you do the best you can and cherish the time now as much as you can.  We all have an appointment with death - the good part is you may have some time to spend - the bad part is watching them go down hill with chucks of their health and life coming off along the way.  Hope you also have a good support system. 

Source(s): life experience