Why do so many young military guys go out and buy expensive cars/ trucks  ?

I have a ton of friends from high school who are in the army who are in the 18-24 range, and several of them immediately after ait training they went out and bought expensive cars, one of my friends got a camaro my other friend a Jeep Wrangler, not exactly cheap vehicles. I didn’t think the army paid that much lol. Plus I’m sure they’re getting extremely high interest rates. Why is this so common with young guys who’ve just joined the army, blowing probably half they’re paycheck on a car payment 

If they live on base they have no living expenses.   They can eat in the chow hall so have no food expenses.   The base may have a bowling alley,   golf course,  movie theater,  Rod and Gun club with a trap and skeet range,  etc.   All at reduced cost and tax free.   So what do they have to spend their money on?  Plus if they want to go off base they need transportation so they buy a car.   If they can afford a nice car or truck why should they buy something cheap and crappy?    The best example of this that I know of is USAFA graduates.   They form groups and decide what kind of car they want when they graduate.   They form a committee for each kind of car and that committee goes to the local dealers and see which one will give them the best deal.   If you have 25 guys who want Corvettes and there are 20 Chevy dealers in the area they all compete to get the deal as it is a massive sale for them.    They do it far enough in advance that the cars are ready at graduation.   ALL of the major car makers know this happens and they all want bragging rights.   So you got Chevy willing to make a deal on Corvettes,  Ford on Boss Mustangs,   Chrysler on Chargers,   Porsche on 911s,   etc.    So the cars are expensive they are not really as they make such a mass deal on them. 

• Mrsjvb

One, it’s their first time being independent and having steady income.  

Two, there are three hundred shady car dealers just off base advertising zero down and low monthly payments targeted at these kids, who are still a tad naive.  

Why not? They have the money, what else are they supposed to spend it on?

and why would you think tery have high interest rates?-- they have a guarenteed job for the next 4 years, banks like that.

• Squid

Thay have no bills.  The military provides food and housing.  Their entire paycheck is disposable income.  Combine that with predatory lending practices by car dealers.  

Single Good wages = Nice cars

My first car was a 1954 220 Mercedes-Benz Purchased whilst Posted to Germany with the RAF

Young civilian guys do exactly the same thing. If they get a job where they can get credit to buy a car or truck they go for the whole thing. It's an ego thing. You must not be a guy if you don't know that. I bought old junkers then and now I'm doing the same thing, buying old cars and driving them for years.