Fellow Christians, why's the Devil named a name that means and directly translates as "Light Bringer" — Lucifer — when that's good, not evil?

It seems like the Devil's given name would be something meaning the opposite, like "shadow" or "dark lord," or something else apt, like "beguiler" or "who is evil."

An all-knowing God knew how he'd turn out when naming him, and given names throughout the Bible have meanings foretelling how someone would turn out, like Cain's given name meaning "possessed" foretelling him ending up in the Devil's clutches and the top archangel Michael's name meaning "who is like God" foretelling his extreme Godliness, the Bible even citing that as the reason God named him that.

So the Devil given a name meaning "light bringer" seems to imply there's something evil about light or bringing light, but doesn't light symbolize truth and goodness? So that'd contradict his title The Father of All Lies, and isn't the first thing God does after creating the Heavens and the Earth is create light?

"And God said, 'Let there be light,' and there was light. And God saw that the light was good." (Genesis 1:3-4)

Right there, the Bible calls "light" "good"! And doesn't that verse mean that God actually brought the light? So since the Devil's Lucifer, Lucifer's the Light Bringer, and God's the bringer of light, isn't it roundaboutly saying God's the Devil?! Seems so.

So why's the Devil named Lucifer, or Light Bringer, when the Bible calls "light" "good" and when God's actually the light bringer? Seriously, not trolling, I want to know. Is there some known reason for why he's called that? If so, what is it?

The three answers posted so far give the reason that he used to be good, but I covered that and the problem with that. It's fine to reassert that as a reason, but it's remiss to without redressing—or even acknowledging—the problem with it I raised.  

The entire point of my second paragraph was to avoid getting that as a pat answer, like I have, but to ensure if that were an answer, it wouldn't ignore the problem I raised and so fail to give a full and adequate explanation, like pat answers do.

Correct me if I'm wrong, which I may be because I picked this tidbit up from Transformers 2, but while we Westerners nickname Venus the "The Morning Star," in Hebrew tradition, isn't "The Morning Star," or actually "The Morning Stars," the singular being a Biblical mistranslation of the Tanakh, referring to the stars that make up Orion's Belt, they (at the latitude of Lower Egypt and Canaan) being the last visible stars in the west as the sun rises in the east?

Favorite Answer

The name derives from an odd reading of Isaiah 14:12: 

How art thou fallen from heaven, 

O Lucifer, son of the morning! 

how art thou cut down to the ground, 

which didst weaken the nations! 

[Authorized ("King James") translation] 

The name translated "Lucifer" means something like "Shining One" [as it's translated in the Jewish Publications Society's version]. It was a reference to the morning star (the planet Venus, when it appears in the morning), and was used as a title by rulers in Babylon. Isaiah is writing a diatribe against the Babylonian regime. 

At some point, Christians decided this "fallen from heaven" reference suited the image of Satan as a fallen angel, and so they began to apply the name "Lucifer" to him. 

I agree with what I take to be your main point: it doesn't work all that well if we read very much into that.

Satan was created to be good.

Omniscience is a false, though popular doctrine, at least when taken as an absolute. God doesn't know who someone will be before He makes them, but He reads their life all at once.

Source(s): Source: Tested prophecy and Bible study.

Jesus, according to the New Testament, is the "Bright Morning Star" who will rise, shine, and illuminate our hearts with truth. Satan is not Lucifer. christians are illiterate. satan is the father of lies, and a murderer. doctors murder 650000 babies every year in america. "doctor" means "falsify". witch doctor. snake oil.

• CF

If you check the context, you will realize that the Hebrew term "heh·lelʹ,"  translated into English as  "shining one," or according to the Vulgate, "lucifer," does not apply to Satan.

According to Isaiah 14:4, the verses that include "lucifer" are part of a "proverb against THE KING OF BABYLON." (Caps are mine) Perceive also what verbs 15 and 16 disclose:

"Yet you shall be brought down to Sheol, to the lowest depths of the Pit...Those who see you will gaze at you, and consider you, saying:‘Is this the man who made the earth tremble, who shook kingdoms..."? - New King James Version.

First, the individual characterized as a "shining one," will go down to "Sheol." The latter refers to the figurative common grave of mankind, or Grave. Satan, as a spirit creature, could not be brought down to Sheol, since he´s not a human being. Second, verse 16 correctly addresses him as "the man."

Therefore, Hebrew "heh·lelʹ," in that context, refers to Babylon’s dynasty of kings in the line of Nebuchadnezzar, and not to Satan.

Additional info

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2002687

We are all spirit children of God and knew Satan before our birth. 

"Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth?...When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?"  Job 38:4,7

Satan was a loved and influencial person of authority before he rebelled against God. His downfall was due to pride and the desire for power. He was cast out along with one third of the hosts of Heaven who followed him. They will never receive a physical body and experience earth life. We chose to follow Jesus Christ and God's plan for our growth.

"12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!

13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars (children) of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:

14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.

15 Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.

16 They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee, and consider thee, saying, Is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms;"  Isaiah 14:21-16

Thats what his name was before he fell, and that is what he did, He reflected God's Light.

When he fell he became satan