Moving to Finland :) Advice on the process?

Hei! I'm a 23 student about to graduate with my bachelors degree in a few months from the United States and I'm planning for awhile to make the move to Finland. I've always loved visiting and have done so many times over the years to see distant family. I'm in love with Lapland and the culture and have been learning Finnish for quite sometime... I understand there are certain qualifications needed to actually become a citizen and I find the beginning process a bit confusing with temporary and continuous residency etc. I understand you have to stay there for a brief time then reapply for temporary again then wait 5 years to actually become a citizen? What should my first steps be? 

8 Answers

  • 1 month ago

    There is an estimated ONE BILLION on the planet that want to move to another country.

    YOU are not special. You have a Mystery degree in what Hieroglyphs , Basket weaving of the plains' Indian, Nuclear Medicine ....... What does Finland NEED or WANT they have lots of recent graduates from their Universities.

    Take a few more years ( with COVID not much choice) and upgrade to at least a Masters Degree for a reasonable chance. Getting married helps but not a guarantee.

    It takes YEARS just the way it is. RESIDENCE in a country does not mean you must become a CITIZEN.

    From today expect about ten years before that MIGHT happen.

    Tourists VISIT  then go home

    Students STUDY then go home in most situations.

    The Finnish Official websites are not complicated for a UNIVERSITY student to comprehend. They are LONG. You do it one step at a time.

    Finnish Immigration has heard more clever work arounds than you will ever dream up.

    You apply if you want. You WAIT and MIGHT be approved. Your job in your application is to show you have something Finland NEEDS or WANTS from a potential immigrant better than most of the other applicants.

    You have ZERO chance if you do not try.

    The fast and easy ways was last century your parents' time.

  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    The first thing is to research visas that potentially allow you to move to Finland............. because as a 23yr old with no work skills and potentially just a Bachelors degree you do not qualify for a work visa

  • 1 month ago

    Avoid rapefugees in Finland

    Source(s): I am European
  • 1 month ago

    First, you are going to have to be admitted for immigration, or a long-stay visa (e.g. employment) which might eventually qualify you to apply for legal residency. ONLY if you can ever get legal permanent residency status can the clock start ticking on the 5 years of legal residency before you might qualify to apply for citizenship. With only a bachelor's degree, you're not getting any job with a temporary employment visa with a qualified employer in Finland. Tourist visa does not allow you to remain or change status to get temporary, or permanent, residency. So what qualifies you to get a long-term visa? You'll need advanced degree(s) + sufficient experience to have developed specialized expertise in short supply in Finland before you might qualify to apply for a job with an employer who qualifies to apply for your temporary employment visa there.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Sounds like you don't have a real understanding of the immigration process. If your language skills are sufficient you should spend time on the website for Finland's immigration authorities or ask these relatives to translate the basics for you. But if you're really serious about this you'd do well to contact a Finnish immigration attorney. In most cases recent grads with just a BA and no practical professional experience don't qualify for immigration to any country based on their labor skills. But if you've got family there or are willing to do grad school there perhaps there's a way. 

  • 1 month ago

    You cannot simply move to Finland as a US citizen.  The only realistic way for you to move to Finland is to marry a citizen of Finland who can sponsor you for an immigration visa.  

  • 1 month ago

    Your first step should be to get a job lined up.

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    What's wrong, America have too much freedom for you? MAGA2020>>>>>>>>>>>>where we go one we go all

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.