Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInvesting · 1 month ago

What do you think will happen to the stock market after election day? ?

• Clara

What the markets will do will depend on who wins the election--the guy endorsed by Goldman Sachs and a wide assortment of Republicans, or the guy who claimed to favor energy but presided over the de-listing of Exxon-Mobil from the Dow Industrials Index and failed on his promise to bring back the coal industry. The same guy who brags about how well the market is doing AFTER Exxon-Mobil got the boot.

• david

It will crash. Market manipulators are doing everything they can to keep it from crashing. They have been for months, but there's no new dumb money, and w/o new dumb money stock prices can't go up. When things stay flat there's no way to go but down. Especially after market players start cashing out to pay bills. the corporate tax cut and government shutdown killed controlled capital influx. RePOs and zeroing out the interest rates killed reserve influx capacity. Pretty much the only thing left is cutting reserve requirements. If these companies can't hold back 6% of what they're supposedly worth for a rainy day, I've to wonder if they can pay me at all. I'll be the 1st guy out trying to at least get whole and maybe pull out the money they say my holdings are worth. 

Currently, the market has declined for many reasons of which the lack of a stimulus payment, COVID fears, and Biden winning are the most prominent. As to a Biden victory, I'd like to think that most of the fear of this has already been built into the decline of recent. His raising the corporate tax rate to 28% from the current 21% won't help the market but, as I've said, that's already built-in and I would expect a slow partial recovery over the 1st couple of years, whereas with Trump we'd see an almost immediate rally should he win.

• kswck2

It will either Burp-like it did in 2016 or drop a whole bunch-depending on the outcome. 

Corporations do not like to hear corporate taxes will be going UP.  And THAT makes the market jittery. 

• Robert

Everyone with a buck takes it out and leaves if SloJoe gets in and it goes up and the recovery continues if Trump remains.  

• Jay

It will open as usual.  Some stocks will go down, some will stay the same and some will go up.

I can't understand the stock market. It doesn't seem to respond in a rational way to anything. Why hasn't it crashed already? In fact why aren't we in a depression right now? I have a feeling key economic information is either being fudged or completely hidden.

That remains to be seen..