Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentLaw & Legal · 1 month ago

Are bosses entitled to pull me into work during my holiday ?

Im on holiday from work for a few days and my boss should know as i reminded him a few times and about an hour ago he asked me to come into work and he should know full well im on holiday. Are bosses entitled to and legal to pull people into work during there holiday? 

• Judy

yes they can ............................

• Mike

You can tell the boss your ship won't get to port for the next 5 days.

In the UK, if you are on holiday, you are on holiday and not legally bound to come in. 

They can ask you if you would be willing to change your holidays though. But you can't be sacked for saying no.

• Alex

They have a right to say whatever they want "I need you to come in".  You have a right to say whatever you want "Sorry, I cannot." or to not answer the phone at all.

Unless there was a previous expectation set that you would be on call for after hours emergencies (that is the case with my job), I have never known someone to lose their job for being unable to work a previously unscheduled shift.

In America they can't force you but can ask. They can fire you if you don't show up though, in right to work states anyway. I don't know about whatever country you're from though.