How do homeless people live in encampments without their belongings being stolen when they leave?

How or, where can I temporarily keep heavy, bulky or even items of value(e.i., clothing, shoes, media storage, electronic devices, towels, blankets, debit cards, laundry supplies, food, etc) that I'll need later at some point, some sooner than later & frequently, some more frequent than other items, if I'm alone, homeless and no home, car, etc. to store them? 

Is a self storage unit the only solution? 

But certain items are not to be stored in most self storage units, according to the lease agreement, e.g., food, cigarette lighter butane.) 

Aren't storage units mainly for storing fixed items? 

Not necessarily for the storing, retrieving & the restoring of those particular items on a daily, every other day, or biweekly basis? 

What if i need something past the gate access hours of 7AM-10PM? 

Ok, maybe that last question doesn't need an answer.  

If it's past 10PM, it's only a few more hours until the unit reopens to the tenants again. 

But still, all the concerns prior to that are relevant, no? 

I also have items that I'm trying to collect and build upon, like hiking/camping gear & exercise equipment since I know my Dr. is nt pleased w/hw Ive bn caring for myself since becoming homeless.

And, I'd like 2 be able 2 'wrk' there as an amateur painter & photographer. 

I also wouldn't mind 'collecting' hme furnishings & decor jst in case the time evr does cme whn I cn live in my own residential unit again. 

So, is there anyplace like ths, tht'll allow me2perform any of these feats? 

• Ludwig

Put that lot in storage if you can afford it.

• Bill

Why do you think they push full, stolen shopping carts around wherever they go?

• n2mama

The short answer is no, no places to do what you are describing. Homeless that are living in encampments don’t have bulky items of value, especially not things like exercise equipment, art supplies, or home decor items. They have the tent they are living in, with their basic items like a few blankets, maybe a change of clothes or two, perhaps a camp stove in the tent. The few valuable items they may have like a wallet, money, credit card, stay on their person pretty much all the time. And yes, things absolutely get stolen. If you have the financial ability to have a storage unit, that is a much better place to store bulky items of value. That said, if you have bulky items of value, maybe you should consider selling them and using the proceeds to put a roof over your head or buy a cheap car or van you could live out of.

This is how they do it:  I had a neighbor 'Bob'.  He lost his job when the Pier One closed in Jan.  He finally got a job in March but that place closed.

He took his savings and rented a storage unit and moved all of his stuff in there.

(Some places allow 24/7/365 access by way of a key card)

He's sleeping in his car now, but says he will sleep in the storage unit when it gets cold because he does not want to spend the little money he earns on a motel unless he has a job interview the next day.  He did consider a tent and even got a decent one but decided that the car was safer.  You do not have a car so the tent may be your only option.

The storage unit - he can come and go basically as he pleases  and he is NOT supposed to live there...but there are a half dozen guys who do...the people in the office are minimum wage employees and they do not care unless there are 'smells' or 'fires' (no cooking and no smoking).

You can keep cans of food in the storage unit, but no boxes and no perishables and do not even think of trying to hide a fridge in there.  You do not have anywhere to cook...so don't worry about food storage....you will have to buy bologna and cheese and bread at the 7-11 daily.

He also keeps a gym membership so he can keep clean and have a place to hang out.  Occasionally he uses my shower....his mail gets sent to my address.

But ... Bob is lucky.  He HAD  a job and he HAD savings enough to rent the storage unit for a year.   He ALSO has a series of part time jobs while he is waiting for the economy to get better so he can get a 'real' job.

OH...and be prepared  to be chased out of homeless encampments regularly and also expect that the city workers will come by while you are out looking for food...and throw all of your stuff in the trash.

The belongings of homeless people have very little to no value.  not enough to steal.

Peace.

• Rick

they don't have anything WORTH stealing !!!

Homeless people in encampments do not have TVs, do not need media storage, etc.

Phones and wallets are kept on their person.

Everything else is just junk they use to survive much like if you were camping.   It's dirty and smelly and no one wants it.

And homeless encampments are kind of like jail and playgrounds.  There are unwritten rules and unofficial people who enforce them.

Homeless people who live in campers or other vehicles have a slightly greater ability to keep their belongings secure.

• Mark

I don't know.  I was just thinking this yesterday.  There are encampments under a local freeway near where I live, and someone had one of those laptops that get charged by using solar power.  It was just sitting there, with no one near it.  How  it didn't get stolen is beyond me.