Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 1 month ago

My autistic 8 year old was refused for not wearing a mask?

I just went into a retail shop for clothing. The man said "sorry but your child has to wear a mask explained his autism and he can't have things on his face or he will have a meltdown. He said "sorry, its government guidelines and we must follow it" guidelines!!!!!!! Exactly. He has sensory issues. We were still not allowed in so I was angry and wondering if there is anything to be done about this. 

• Willie

Take another adult with you when you shop and that adult can wait outside with your son until you are done with your shopping.

I've worked with autistic students and seen that when they are allowed to have a choice between a couple of things, they will gladly use the one of their own choosing. 

I've even seen it work with a choice of shampoos when the boy didn't like having his hair washed. 

Giving a choice is a huge key to managing autistic behavior. Why not let your son have a mask or maybe a clear face shield of his own choosing? I've seen quite a few innovative ones on the web lately that may meet his needs, some really cool ones, and if so, he'd like wearing it. Maybe a neck gator. Or, just do your shopping online and stay out of the retail stores. A lot of stores have curb-side pickup and generous return policies these days. Brick and mortar stores are barely surviving this anyway. 

Just put the kid in the bin. Who wants disabled genes anyways. They do nothing for society

• Foofa

Depending on where you are this retailer may merely be following local ordinance so the business doesn't get fined. Clothing isn't really considered "essential" right now and there's very little you couldn't order online. I'll humbly suggest that maybe if you do for whatever reason feel there's no option to going in person to buy clothes that you leave your child with his coparent or a babysitter. 

• y

I'm guessing you can ***** about it, may even get some sympathetic to the situation. Thing is, all these excuses and workarounds to accommodate all with special needs of some sort. Get suspended in times like this for the greater good. While accommodating the minority is all fine and dandy when times are good and those accommodations are reasonable. When the **** hits the fan those types of things get tossed out the window.

Don't your government guidelines stipulate medical exemptions of face masks for those that qualify? 

If so, go back, speak to a manager.

You need to buy one of them lanyards for disabled folk. I use them because i don't wanna wear a dam mask. So I'm happy to label myself as "special" lol anything to keep my rights in place is what I will do. So far so good for me. Everyone let's me in venues if i show them it. Playing the disabled card is fun 

Get someone to mind your child if you must go to a place where masks are required.

There is no reason your 8 year old needs to accompany you clothes shopping and no reason the rest of us should be subjected to his cooties.  

I'm sorry your child has a meltdown about the masks, but it's really discourteous to take your child somewhere that is not necessary without a mask.

So unless his presence is actually required (such as having a suit altered for him), he can stay the heck out.

Just go to a different store?