Anonymous

Am I throwing my money away? I failed calculus 3 times?

I am in college and haven’t passed calculus 1 yet. I am trying to become a neurosurgeon and a have been able to make enough money by modeling to pay for my studies.

I have essentially flushed away three semesters of college and got an F in calculus 1 three times. I really don’t know why I am failing. I am locked out of classes I need until I pass calculus 1 2 and 3z

People always tell me I am absolutely gorgeous as a runway model and I really don’t understand why I don’t pass. 

Am I just throwing my money away at school?

As long as I keep getting money coming in should i keep “swinging for the fence” and hope to “hit a homer” in calc 1.

Should i just quit on my goal of being a neurosurgeon? Is it possible that I am beautiful but not cut out for Med school? 

Should i just invest in something and save for retirement and such, should I give up on being a neurosurgeon?

Should I just admit I “struck out”

I understand “game theory” really well and got pretty good as assessing risk. I was able to game my way through college and algebra by eliminating “obviously wrong” answers on multiple choice tests and then back solving to find the correct answer.

This strategy also got me into college in the 1st place.

Med school is NOT in your future. You don't have what it takes to perform at the superior levels in premed program for your bachelor's degree program to have a chance at med school. With the exception of extremely rare people like Cindy Crawford, your modeling career likely won't last long. Even the top international models rarely survive a decade in the business. You are not assessing your abilities, interests, talents, etc, appropriately & realistically.

one needs calculus to become a neurosurgeon??  I learn something new every day!

I admire your persistence.  

IF your goal is neurosurgery, and a degree requires calculus, then no youre not wasting your money: understand why you failed, correct the problems and mistakes, and 

GOOD LUCK.

• fcas80

"People always tell me I am absolutely gorgeous as a runway model and I really don’t understand why I don’t pass."

Maybe your beauty has nothing to do with your ability to do pre-med courses.

By the way, don't forget chem, bio, and physics.

Get a calculus tutor.

But start saving your modeling money just in case.

based solely on the Q, if a real one, you are not cut out of med school--no one really aiming to be a doc even writes like that, failing is a no brainer.

• MS

Assuming this is a real question (which I doubt):

First, why are you taking calculus?  Is it required for your major?  Because medical schools do not generally require that you take calculus for admission.  They prefer statistics. (Although there can absolutely be exceptions and some may certainly want calculus).

Second, failing grades will hurt your GPA and your STEM GPA, which are primary considerations for medical school admissions.  The fact that you have a repeated failing grade in a STEM subject is going to be a big red flag.  

• DON W

While I suspect this is a troll note (particularly due to the reference to your beauty), I'll give you an honest answer.

In order to become any sort of a Medical Doctor in the US, neurosurgeon or other type, you need to be accepted by a medical college.  They will want a GPA close to 4.0 (plus a very high score on the GMAT).  While they might overlook a low college grade in a course like history, anything STEM related (which includes calculus), will immediately draw their attention.

The bottom line is that you would not be accepted by a US medical college after flunking calculus.