Ty asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 4 weeks ago

Would you like to see the return of Hollywood Epics such as a Ben Hur  Spartacus El Cid Etc. those types of movies?

Not really, but if there's a market they should come back.

Sure, better than all those superhero movies

• Audrey

It certainly would be better than a remake of every cartoon show/movie a thousand times over!

I am a movie buff and if I had my druthers, I would buy some old movie palace, if any still exist, and show nothing but old classics. 

Or okay, to stay profitable.....maybe just show some old classics,  for matinees ---for seniors...... or  2 nights a week..... show films from the 20's  thru  50's. ----to give new generations a chance to see them. 

Those scenes with thousands of extras are done with CGI today.  Its cheaper.

• Laredo

I always enjoyed the films that you have mentioned and I do like those type of long epic films.  However, in todays world I do not think people would sit in a Cinema for a long length of time just to watch a film.

Also if they did do remakes of the above films, they would never be as good as the originals. Hopefully those long epics will come back and people will like sitting watching them again.

• Goerge

Yes but unfortunately attention spans have dramatically shrunk over time. They have much better thing to do than sit and watch a movie for 4 hours unless they are binge watching sequels and their sequels. 

I'm watching Exodus Gods and Kings(2014) a little over 10 hours later and it's quite clear that epics are becoming much more rare. Add in the pandemic and that's another death blow. The epic shots of the battlefield look more like 2010's Civilization V and less like a true epic. They've replaced "suspension of disbelief" with shock and awe. So little time setting the stage and relationships and much more time spent behind their computers figuring out how to lie. A few years prior Christopher Nolan was figuring out how to create a movie with as little green screen use as possible to keep that WE'RE LYING right now CGI B$ at a bare minimum. In order to express time as a dimension instead of a linear river Christopher and his crew built their brainchild in the REAL WORLD. Marvel was content making a cartoon to show a place "beyond time". Mathew McConaughey was suspended by wires over and through that MASSIVE set unlike Benedict Cumberbatch who was digitally added to what was already a lie. And every time the audience applauds their efforts with an EPICALLY profitable movie, they are inspired to use CGI even more which is disheartening. Odd how we're looking enviously into a rear-view mirror. Hm, speaking of mirrors, Mirrors and Rearview Mirror come to mind. Random thoughts...