me asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 month ago

So if some states have received millions of absentee ballots but their state laws forbid beginning to count them before election day?

and since there are so many absentee ballots properly and legally received by election day, they cannot all be counted by election day, and let us say the counting will take 3 more days for those absentee ballots.

Here is my question. I hear some politicians and judges talking about its only and end of day election day count that is acceptable. What happens if a state has say  300,000 absentee ballots left to count and end of day election day.

Does this mean that those citizens who voted legally absentee and got their ballots in on time legally will have their votes disqualified?

Is this what we are looking at a possibility in the USA?

donnie I said the state law forbids beginning the count until election day and that is the way things have been done in that state forever.  Are you saying that no matter what the state tradition and law is that this time suddenly things must be different and why must that be?

Votes do not need to be counted by election night.  There's never a full count on election night.  Presidential races are usually resolved quickly but some other races take days or weeks to sort out.  The Presidential race doesn't need to be fully counted until some time in December IIRC when they have to send their certified results to the federal government. 

The reason that Trump is talking about election night is because some people figure that his supporters will vote in person since he demonized vote by mail so much.  This might lead to a case where he initially appears to be up on election night but then loses his lead as more votes come in. 

• Jeff D

I'm not sure why it should take more time to count absentee ballots than regular ballots--the ballots are the same (at least in my state) and they need to be counted either way; but I guess it's possible that absentee ballots do require more work for some unknown reason and it's entirely possible that when states expanded absentee voting that they didn't add sufficient time and/or resources in the process to count all these absentee ballots, but that's the fault of the legislature and symptomatic of passing laws in a hurry without considering the consequences.  However, if you find a problem with a law then you need to lobby the legislature to change it.  You can't just make up new laws on the fly (and if you try then the courts will rightfully slap you down).

I dunno. Democrats make voting so difficult for no reason at all.

• donnie

They need to be counted before Election Day as well as the electoral collage decides the vote