Research for a book about sexual assault?

If this offend or upsets you please do not answer. I'm sorry if this is too personnel for some people and know it's not a nice subject. I am writing a book and half way in my main female character gets badly beaten by a guy outside a club, and just as he is about to rape her, her boyfriend turns up and knocks him out. I was wondering if anybody has any idea how long it would take the woman to be intimate with her boyfriend again? I don't want to rush it but I also don't want to drag it out. In the book she is a strong confident woman who worships her man. Can anybody help?

A good place to start is 'The Art of the Deal'.  Then, the one by Mary Trump is helpful to understand the kind of person who does such things.

• Tina

No woman, strong, confident, or weak and wary 'worships her man' - nor would she ever think of him as 'her man' unless her first language was German.

Strong, confident women don't "worship"  their men.

And the way that a woman would react and recover in the situation you describe will vary with each woman. There is no standard: "Oh, it's five and a half weeks/months/years, she should be over it by now".

• Cogito

That varies enormously.  Some would get over it in a matter of weeks, others may never fully recover.

But I'd like to add that a strong, independent women would NEVER 'worship' her man.  That simply doesn't make sense.

• Amber

There is no standard for getting over a trauma. Even how some people deal with it is different. Some people find intimacy after a rape/attempted rape almost impossible for a long time, no matter how good the relationship is. And some people swing the other way and become over sexual. It is more rare but it happens. Some people it doesn't affected at all then 10 years later...bang. It varies. 

It would completely depend upon the 2 people and their relationship. 

Frankly. speaking as a woman, I find the continual use of rape as entertainment on movies,  every damn cop show and in murder mysteries as repulsive.  It's the 'go to' of every script especially of male writers. 

There are multiple other things you as a writer  can pivot your plot around instead of falling back on this severely overused trope.  Women do not find this 'normal'. 

Asking strangers on YA isn't research.

You need to find a website or three for survivors of sexual assault. Join, pay their fee if they have one, and read. You'll weep, guaranteed.

• Andrew

Strong, confident women don't "worship" the man they're with. And people who suffer a traumatic experience deal with it in different ways. The time required to heal will vary from one person to another. Asking such a question here doesn't even remotely constitute "research." Sadly there are far, far too many first-hand testimonials available where people recount being attacked. Try reading a couple of those. And you might want to have a bit of a rethink about the manner in which you plan to portray the relationship between the victim and her partner. Any reader who has ever been in a healthy committed relationship is bound to scoff at your depiction.