Connor asked in SportsFootball (American) · 1 month ago

hypothetical and very odd NFL question about field goal blocks?

so, team A is attempting a field goal try. Suppose team B takes their strongest player and their smallest, lightest player and park them behind the front line of the defensive side of the line. Would it be against any rules for the strongest player, as the ball is hiked, to pick up the smallest player and throw them straight up into the air as a flying wall to attempt to block the kick try. I can’t imagine that it “wouldn’t” work, as putting one arm up covers far less area than an entire, airborne player. I also cant see it being too safe for the player being turned into the projectile, especially on the falling side of this play. I am just curious if it is against any current NFL rules or even down to the collegiate level. Thank you for indulging in this far fetched, probably close to impossible idea

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Yes, that's against the rules.

• 1 month ago

It's illegal to use another player for leverage. That also means it's illegal to pick up the ball carrier and heave him over the line into the endzone or for blockers to link elbows and sweep down the field as a wall. Every player must pull his own weight.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

This is actually how the sport of midget tossing originated.

• 1 month ago

Yes, it is.

If the projectile lands on one of the offensive lineman, that's a penalty.  And using one player to get leverage on a jump is also illegal.  That's why you don't even see one person using his partner's back to jump higher.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.