Can you rent self storage and keep it empty for a while?

I am moving from a roommate situation next summer and I want to rent a storage unit to eventually put new furniture inside until I move. Can I rent the storage now and have the new furniture delivered there as I start purchasing big items (sofa, dining chairs and table, bed, etc.)? The unit would be empty to start, I will just be slowly filling it up until about August. 

Willing to take any recommendations on this subject. Only serious replies please and no judgement. Thanks

With their high rates, why would you want to rent and pay for a unit prior to using it? I'd rent one only when I was ready to store items. As for deliveries, you will need to be there while the deliveries are made.

Yes but you would have to be there when they are delivered.

• ?

Storage units aren't cheap.  It would be silly to spend money accumulating furniture that may not fit in your new space and to incur the additional cost of the unit.  Start a savings account instead.

Yes, but that's not very smart, financially. Any extra money you had to pay for furniture by buying it all at once would be more than offset by what you did not pay in storage fees. Once you rent, you pay the fee regardless if it's empty. You're talking 9 months of rent. Depending on where you are, a climate-controlled unit might be best and there is an extra fee for that. In my area, a 10 x 15 climate-controlled unit is going to run in the $125 ballpark every month.  Unless you know you can get some great stuff at great sale prices (prices that will not be available when you move into the new place), enough to offset the fees, this makes no sense. And then, of course, there's the cost of moving it from the storage locker to the new place. Buying things when you move should mean free delivery for most (and for those with a delivery charge, you'll pay that anyway to have it delivered to storage).

• Maxi

If you want to rent a storage unit and store nothing as long as you pay the fees/rent they don't care that it is empty and you are throwing away your money...... rent a storage unit when you need it, not to keep it empty

Sure you can do that. However, you may want to ask if furniture can be delivered to a storage unit. But yes, you can leave it empty as long as you want. There's no obligation to put anything inside it at all, in fact. As long as you rent the unit and pay the monthly fee, the company doesn't care what you put in it or when. 

• R P

Yes you can

The management doesn't care  as long as you are current on the monthly rent.

Yes, of course you can. As long as it's not against the rules, they don't care whether it's empty or full, as long as you're paying. 

As long as you pay, they do not care what you put in it.

It's going to be very difficult to have furniture companies deliver to a storage unit.

You are going to have to be there.  They don't say we will deliver at 8am they say will will deliver between 8-noon (if you are lucky).  or they might end up being 2 hours late.

I don't see how any "deal" you get on the furniture would make up for the price of the storage facility.  And if you don't know the exact layout of where you are moving, the new furniture might not work.

The storage people don't care what you store as long as it's legal to store it at the facility (usually not things like motorcycles or lawnmowers with gas in them).