I’m 21 with no work experience. I have no idea what to do with my life. So I’m going to pursue hairdressing.  Is this a good idea ?

sure you might be good at it

Any trade is good...Some people are always looking for a "job", rather than looking for somewhere they can "work" their trade. Go for it !

1198 answers, now, for you... on one hand, perhaps its better to pursue something rather than nothing. on the other, training as a hairdresser is expensive and a demanding program, at that. What are your options and who would be paying for this? What do you think about college? If you go and enroll at your local junior college, where the fees are smaller, it will entitle you to partake of career testing and counseling, probably free of charge. You have to be taking a certain minimum of units to qualify. Check it out. They will match your interests and aptitudes to various career choices , inform you on how accessible or competitive those choices might be, what to expect in the way of earnings, and much more.  Even if you choose hair dressing, this might give you a much better idea of what will fit for you . Good luck,

It's a good idea if you're good working with your hands. 

Very important is that you like talking to people and listening to them, not just about their hair, so that you can build up a clientele - that's where the money is - repeat customers. 

If you don't like chatting, then you can always specialize in mortician work...that pays really well!

try it, if you don't feel good then change it. 

You analyze what are your hobbies and skills are, everyone has something special about them, you just have to discover it. There a lot of good-paying jobs that don't require formal college education. good luck :)

Do what you want! But being on your feet all the time is gonna be hard on your back, and feet!

It's something that can't be done over the internet and that people are unlikely to try to do themselves . . . on the other hand, was subject to long lockdowns during the pandemic.  A good choice if you will enjoy working "hands on" with a variety of people.

Well here’s my thing, so in an ideal world hairdressing is a great career if you are someone who loves beauty and hair and all that good stuff. However the pay is not enough to live on unless you own a salon, and even then it’s pretty unsteady pay.. it’s a job where just like a waitress you are relying on tips. 

Many of the hairdressers I know are dirt poor. And I’m not trying to like persuade you from your dreams if that’s what you love doing.. it’s simply something to take into consideration. 

I’m someone who loves hair and beauty but my parents always taught me “kate you want a career that you will ALWAYS have”. Also the thing is beauty school really doesn’t take brains.. tbh. It doesn’t require real skill or even a bachelors degree. That’s why I went to nursing school and became a nurse. Not only is it steady pay, a lifetime career, also in tough times (such as right now during the pandemic when everybody else is layed off and struggling) I am one of the few who will ALWAYS have a job. Hairdressers and other non-essential workers will be the first to go in a critical event. (Such as currently)  

Not only that but nursing has great benefits and retirement packages. I’m not even too sure what hair dressers have for things like a “401k”. 

You are young! 21, you could Still be almost done nursing school by my age (23). 

You have all the time in the world trust me, it’s ok that you don’t know the route to take. Just take a deep breathe and don’t let it cause you anxiety. You’re young girl! You have all the time in the world to decide what you want to do.

Alright it’s my turn to shut the f*ck up. 

Hairdressing is a great idea. It's an occupation that will stay with you forever. When you take time off for family reasons, you don't have to worry about 'losing' touch with your (basic) skills. Also, it's something you could do from home with clients coming to you - or even open your own salon. The possibilities are endless . .    I had 3 daughters and many times regretted not encouraging any of them into hairdressing.