Expansion drive corrupted and nothing can interact with it without crashing?

My seagate expansion portable drive randomly crapped itself, I think because it would rapid-fire connect and then disconnect until it got corrupted. My computer won’t boot up while its plugged in and when I view it in file explorer it’s renamed “local disk.” Clicking on it in file explorer results in “not responding” and closing the file explorer locks my computer in a black screen. When I open “devices” in settings while the drive is plugged in, the window closes instantly. I tried seatools and it said it was fine, but when I ran ‘chkdsk’ in the command prompt it just stayed blank all night and wont let me type anything or close it. Anything that touches the drive crashes, so I’m wondering if there’s any way for me to get the files, or just some of them, safely off the drive? I can’t really take it in because I can’t drive and I don’t have any money yet, but I have a lot of history on the drive that I really can’t lose.

• opurt
    Favorite Answer

If you're lucky, it's only the enclosure itself that's gone bad. You may be able to take the drive out of the enclosure and put it in a different one or install it directly in a PC and read the data that way. 

If directly connecting doesn't work, then the drive itself is  the problem and the data is likely lost.