Is gay marriage actually at risk in the USA ?

What am I supposed to do.. move to canada or northern europe where it’s gay friendly... because I really don’t want to leave. Like please tell me if it’s actually at risk or if there’s some reason it’s safe. 

Update:

Like I want to know if it’s real or the media blowing things out of proportion. 

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

It has already been accepted by the Supreme Court zxjqfkv

. . . . . . . . . .

, , , , , , , , , ,

• 1 month ago

Its estimated that around 10% of the population is gay.

Yet of that 10% only a few get married.  Lets say its 1% of the gay population who marry each other. 

You are suggesting that 2 people in 200 saying I do to each other will somehow bring down the US.   If that was so the US would already be on its knees. 

• 1 month ago

It's Marriage Equality!

• Sky
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

As long as this country has religious fundamentalists pushing for a theocracy government in pursuit of their desire to please an imaginary invisible man in the sky, same-sex marriage will always be at risk.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Many States had already allowed same-sex marriage before the Obergefell ruling. And nearly every suit brought against SSM in the lower courts was dismissed as without merit. It's unlikely that most States (other than Kentucky and Tennessee) would bother repeating that exercise in futility if Obergefell was overturned. Moreover, a strict constructionist Court could overturn DOMA for violating the Full Faith and Credit clause by telling States that they could refuse to recognize a SSM performed in another State where it's legal.

• 1 month ago

People's rights are ALWAYS at risk in the USA.  There will always be those who want to take away some right you enjoy, no matter who you are.  It's true for same-sex marriage, just as it's true for your ability to choose your own religion, just as it's true for your ability to walk down the street without being accosted by police for no reason.  There are people at work to take away others' rights.  That's so, across the board.

Should sweat be running down the small of your back because of this?  No.  It's just a fact of life, so you have to adjust to it.  Before same-sex marriage could actually be restricted or ended, the Supreme Court would have to be petitioned by someone with a case that challenges the elements of the finding in Obergefell v Hodges.  The Court can't just decide on its own to "take back" a decision it's already issued.  The decision has to be challenged by a new case, and the Court would have to agree that the new case needed to be heard rather than just refuse to hear it (which they frequently do) and allow Obergefell to stand.  So there's a pretty specific set of criteria that a new case would have to meet before it would be likely to be heard, and there's no case like that on the horizon.  Also, in the event that a case like that WAS heard, there's no guarantee, even with a more-conservative bench, that the outcome would be overturning Obergefell.

As another answerer has suggested, it's more likely that the Court will get to hear cases imperiling abortion rights, voting rights, the influence of corporations in government, citizenship status, and civil rights other than same-sex marriage.  So if you want to sweat, sweat that stuff.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I think the newly fortified conservative majority on the US Supreme Court will NOT overturn the Marriage Equality ruling (Obergefell). What I think they will do is say it's up to the states, which will open the door to some 15-20 states reverting to marriage being only for straight couples. In doing so I think the conservative will delegitimize the authority of the Court. The Court is supposed to resolve issues, not create them. The Court is supposed to bring unity to our laws, not creat division and inequality.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No one can say for sure. It certainly is not as safe as it used to be. We need to wait it out and see what happens. Also will Biden pack the court in response? Will the justices actually try to take it down? I’m pretty sure abortion is going to be toast, but I am not sure about gay marriage. Even if the court does strike it down - if the dems get a super majority will they make it law?

So don’t head for Canada yet. But do make your opinion known to your elected leaders. Have their numbers and emails be on your cell phone contact list and call their offices once in a while to give your opinion. Be an informed citizen. Pick a few good sources and stick to them. One of my sources is the New York Times. I advise you to pick it too. Get the main points from it every day - download the app. What ever your source is - subscribe to it. Support it financially with your subscription. Relying off free news from social media is not being informed. Ignorance is not bliss. Many things happen around the world and you don’t know about it because you are not being informed well. Good luck.

• 1 month ago

No, 'gay' marriage isn't at risk, as it doesn't exist. If you meant 'same sex marriage', you should have said so. If you're not sure of the difference, look it up.

Interesting, at least five people believe that same sex marriage laws, were made exclusively for homosexuals. Ignoring facts doesn't change them.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

the media always lies. but if you want to safeguard gay marriage, then you need to teach "christians" how to read. there's nothing in the bible against gays.

The Barna Group, a Christian polling firm, found in 2012 that evangelicals accepted the attitudes and beliefs of the Pharisees—religious leaders depicted throughout the New Testament as opposing Christ and his message—more than they accepted the teachings of Jesus.

the original Hebrew text translates as “And with a male you shall lie down the lyings of a woman.” Genesis 49:4 depicts “lyings” as incest. Thus, the passage should be paraphrased: “Sexual intercourse with a close male relative should be just as abominable to you as incestuous relationships with female relatives.” Lev. 18:22 and 20:13 forbids male incestuous relations.

the city of sodom was destroyed by god because the inhabitants were rapists and murderers, they tortured people and burned children alive. it had nothing to do with the fact that a handful of them at the start of the story were gay.

Dear "Christians", THOU SHALT NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS AGAINST THY NEIGHBOR!

Attachment image
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.