Robin
Lv 7
Robin asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 month ago

I’m British and have so many movie’s On tv from USA. Can someone explain what “take-out” actually is ?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

You call it "take away." It's just food you ordered and picked up from a restaurant or had delivered from a restaurant. 

• 1 month ago

Ordering food at an eating establishment and taking it home to eat rather than consuming it there. 

• 1 month ago

In addition to the food related definition, it has other connotation so some context is needed.

It can mean going out on a date with someone.

It can mean tracking someone down and killing them.

• Duck
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It's food purchased from a restaurant that is packaged up to eat elsewhere.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • A.J.
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

In the UK is takeaway. I think it combines anything ordered and picked up yourself, and anything delivered. I'm not certain about that.

"Take-out" or "takeout" is ordered and picked up to eat at home or away from the restaurant.

We usually say "delivery" for what is ordered and delivered to the home. 

Takeout and takeaway are the same concept. Not to eat at the restaurant preparing the food.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

The British term for what Americans call "take-out" is "takeaway." It's prepared food you've ordered in-person or with your phone or whatever, like from a restaurant, that you don't intend to eat there but instead take with you to eat someplace else. 

If I, for example, either call Pizza Hut or go to Pizza Hut and order a pizza that I'm not going to eat there but take with me to eat somewhere else, like at home, that's "take-out." By the way, in some parts of the United States, like where I'm from in the Midwest, it's more often called "carry-out," so if you hear "carry-out," it means the same thing as "take-out."

"Delivery" is similar to "take-out," except that you never place the order in-person and some employee or delivery service brings it to you instead of you going and picking it up.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It’s take away mate or to kill, depending on context 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.