Seeking advice: there is this African American neighbor who at first liked to chat with me, but now is asking me to teach him languages. ?

I’m not a people’s person and I mind my own business and I like ppl to mind their own businesses as well. And I told him that. But maybe I’m too friendly and not assertive so he’s not getting the message. Also he told me he’s ex-cop and veteran, but still works on investigation cases for veterans and so. 

He wants to learn language and likes to interact with ppl. I speak 3 languages but I don’t want to teach.

What should I do or say to him? I don’t wanna come off as a bad person, or suspicious. Remember he’s an ex-cop.

Thanks for any helpful inputs.

Favorite Answer

If it was me I would teach him and I would talk to him because I am a people-person, I just don't always have things to say so that's why I am quiet sometimes, but in your situation, I would just let him know that you're not trying to be rude, but you don't know too many languages so you can't teach him and just tell him you don't really associate with people much.