Can I use my black light to disinfect my things??

I read that UV light can kill germs and viruses by damaging their DNA or RNA.

I read that a commercial type of UV is typically used. But I was wondering if an ordinary house hold 18 inch black light could do something with disinfection?

Attachment image

2 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    A black light that is safe for you to be around is not strong enough to kill bacteria and viruses.  A black light that is intense enough to kill bacteria and viruses would cause sunburn and severe eye damage.

  • 1 month ago

    Not really, not a high enough intensity, they are deliberately filtered to avoid eye damage.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.