Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 1 month ago

If you advertise something for sale, and clearly state your price,  how would you feel if someone offers you a much lower price?

I have advertised a table and stated 'fixed price - no bargaining'.  Someone came to see it - I was asking for about one fifth of its original price and it's like new. The first (and, so far, only viewer) offered me a ridiculous amount which I turned down. The would-be buyer was not pleased!! 

Kinda funny, as people do this in dealerships every day. Show the price, clearly marked, and they want to haggle. Show a discounted price, rock bottom, they want to haggle. Even at "no-haggle" dealerships, people want to haggle. 

Nobody cares about your perceived value of your item. They'll make an offer based on what they want to pay, not what you want them to pay. If you say no, they've lost absolutely nothing... 

Source(s): 20 years retail auto sales experience.

So what? It's not your problem how the buyer feels.  The buyer read your ad, still made a lower offer, and you didn't get your price--end of story. 

• JOHN B

To hades with 'im. 

Buyers can be scammers as well as sellers being scammers.  Ignore the buyer's behavior.  He was trying to manipulate you.

• F

If I gave something for sake on eBay, I normally accept an offer of -10%, or up to 20% if it has been on sale for some time.

Below that, I generally ignore it.

If you are selling a car, the advertised price is normally followed by ONO, or near offer. Most people take this to mean about 10%.

It's called "low-balling" the price. Many buyers want to test you to see if you are so desperate to sell that you'll accept their low-ball offer. They may not actually be interested in the item but if they can get a low-ball price, they can then resell it for the right price and make a profit. In fact, in my experience, most people who try this technique are resellers or "pickers."

This is just business.  You ask something. They offer something.  Of course you would be happier if they offered you more than you asked for and they would be happier if you gave it to them for nothing.   Would you be happier if they did not make any offer.?

Feelings are just there to be manipulated.

I wouldn't tolerate them - no matter how much I want to sell the item.  It's just like people who show-up at 6:00 am for a jumble sale you advertise as "no sales before 8:00 am . . . .some people just think their are  superior and entitled -  I enjoy showing them that they aren't.

• *****

Irritated. I recently listed a piece of workout equipment for sale at about half the cheapest used price I found for it online, and about 1/6 what they sell for new. It's in excellent condition. I stated, very clearly, that the price was firm. I still had people try to talk the price down by insulting amounts, and get extremely nasty with me when I restated that my price was firm.