Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 1 month ago

Need advice installing interior dog/cat door?

I recently purchased this cat door from Home Depot, and accidentally cut about 1/2 an inch too much from the door, so now the screws are unable to reach the wood for them to be screwed in properly. Is there anyway I could salvage this project without having to replace the door? I was considering going back to buy a bigger cat door so that maybe the edges would meet the wood, but wanted to see if anyone had advice first.

Attachment image

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Edwena
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Use the piece you cut from the door and cut from it a piece that is the correct width to make the patch.  Glue to patch to the door with wood glue and a couple of clamps.   They make clamps that will reach far enough to clamp, but you may have to make a trip to Home Depot to buy the clamps and wood glue.  The cut will have to be very good, or the matching edges will show.  This can be hid by wood filler, sanding and painting.  More stuff from Home Depot.

• 1 month ago

Get a thin board and cut it large enough to cover the too big hole in the door.  Cut it large enough so there will be a couple inches more on each side than the cat door requires.cut the proper size hole in this board. Mount this board over the hole in the door. Mount the cat door to this board.  Worth a shot.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Glue and screw a piece of solid timber to the edge with the gap to correct the size of the opening, spackle and sand flush with the door and repaint and you are good to go. If it is a veneered door add a narrow picture frame type trim all around the door to hide the join and make it look intended.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.