Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (Soccer)English Football (Soccer) · 1 month ago

Remember when Arsene Wenger beat prime Barcelona with Wilshere, Song, Clichy, Djourou and Eboue?

Update:

Edit: Guys the point is not that they lost the second leg, the point is the tie was extremely close despite an obvious gulf in class between the teams. That shows how good Wenger was.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • August
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

He was the best manager around but the boo boys wanted him out. Look what you have got now!

Mr Anfield Aces-  Van Persie,Nasi -decent players ffs, you having a laugh? Stick to  your boring Liverpool updates 

• snafu
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Should've kept hold of him shouldn’t they?Although Arsenal fans wanted him gone.  I remember all the slagging off he was getting.  

• Ryan
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Its a shame Wenger didn't move back into management after leaving Arsenal. Either managing an international team or taking charge of a team like Barcelona for a year I think he'd do well

• 1 month ago

I REMEMBER this game well.

That finish by RVP though  -  - - - - 

s-i-c-k ^_^

lol

The team used to change each season with either an important piece of the puzzle leaving,  and a new kid arriving or somebody else would leave who should have been kept but wasnt.

Arsenal lacked a big strong powerful midfielder like Viera or a Keane in midfield , an age old thing we use to say a lot in them days.

Had they had that kind fo player,  they'd be even closer to the likes of Chelsea and Man United in that era possibly would ahve even won the premier league too easily.

Nasri, Van Persie, Song, Clichy, Eboue,  all decent players.

how Wenger failed to realise he needed a combative strong midfielder and a world class CB to make that team go on and win the league i'll never know.

Those Arsenal teams of the late 2000's  ( 2006, 2007, 2008 ,2009) were the biggest under achieving squad of players in the history of EPL , followed closely by RAfa's Liverpool ( Torres,  Gerrard, Cara, Alonso,  Hypia, Kuyt, Mascherano, Babel, Riera, Dossena etc )

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Stilty
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

That Barcelona team always looked great against 10 men, even then they couldn't get the job done half the time, member Chelsea and Inter? lmao. 

• 1 month ago

Wenger is underrated he kept Arsenal in the top four with no backing from the board for years and some really average players. I think we can see since he left that it's not an easy job.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Lol, @Adam you are an idiot, have you ever see the match, the referee really killed the game for Arsenal. 

• Adam
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Didn't Barcelona win the 2nd leg 3-1 (relying on a Barcelona own goal to actually score in that game) then go on to win the champions league? But yeah, celebrate them winning 1 match but losing the tie overall

Edit - yes the tie may have been close, however the difference between a great team and Arsenal is a great team can have an off couple of days, drop to Arsenals level and still win the tie

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.