? asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 4 weeks ago

If sautéing mushrooms in butter, how can the leaking water be stopped from ruining the butter?

Update:

Not really ruined, more of water being an unwanted extra to the butter, a bit like adding water to a slice of cake!

Update 2:

kswck2 you have got Yank bellend written all over you

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

    Don't wash the mushrooms ahead of time--wipe them off with a paper towel instead. Then dry them with another one. Make sure your mushrooms are as dry as they can get before sauteing. If they still produce a lot of liquid, you can drain it off during the process. I sympathise with you--oftentimes, especially with white mushrooms, the liquid is too  much--but I just drain it.  I have also added a little more butter if I have to drain it. 

  • Funnel
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

     You put the leaking water national guard on it is what you do.

  • garry
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

    and you cook , what an airhead , there  suppose , butter will penetrate the  mushrooms.

  • kswck2
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    Either you are a troll or you just have No idea about cooking. Mushrooms are about 80% Water and will 'give up their liquid' as they cook. And it disperses. 

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

    It cooks away eventually.

  • 4 weeks ago

    saute at a higher temperature. Add a bit of oil to the butter to increase its smoke point.

  • 4 weeks ago

    Squeeze the mushrooms dry with a paper towel. Even if you don't do that, in a saute, the heat will be high enough to evaporate any water that comes out. If you're not hot enough, you are sweating, which is valid but it is a different technique with different results.

  • Goerge
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    You can reduce the amount of water you use.

    That means you use a damp paper towel to clean your mushrooms instead of running them under water.

    Next up is the butter, which by FDA standards needs to be at least 80% butter fat and the rest is a mixture of mostly water(16-18%) with a little milk solids making up the smallest part. Any more water than about 18% and it can't legally be called butter, in the US. The cook can make clarified butter at home which removes the water and milk solids. The user could also make Ghee which is literally cooked to intensify the butter's flavor. 

    Another way to reduce the accumulation of water is to not add the mushrooms and butter to a cold pan. Add the clarified butter to the pan and get it to cooking temp and then add the mushrooms. By clarifying it you have increased the butter's smoke point meaning it can handle more heat and as such any water the mushrooms release will be boiled off and evaporate, leaving behind only your shrooms and the butter. To be clear, the water evaporates before it has time to pool but if your pan isn't hot enough the water will just sit there simmering. If the pan is too full of mushrooms, the water will condense under the mushrooms and repool. That guy over there used a recipe and made fried chicken EXACTLY the way the recipe said 4 times and called the recipe's author an idiot for publishing such B$. That chicken never comes out crispy and delicious. That same cook then sees his roommate frying chicken and he sees all that wasted space in the cast iron Dutch oven. You shouldn't waste space like that man, toss a couple more legs in there. That is when his roommate informs him that the coating will get soggy if the steam can't escape and that's why he leaves more room between the chicken pieces.  The next day he makes some chicken using that same recipe and he shared some with his roommate who was impressed. A pan crowded with mushrooms will offer the same disappointment. 

    Another reason could be the pan you're using. Cast iron is great for steaks because it collects, holds onto and distributed the heat better than most other cookware. However when you want a quicker heat transfer, the cast iron's thickness and other benefits may be wasted on mushrooms. Try a regular 7" egg pan or 9 inch frying pan . You could also use a tilted griddle set to 380F.

    Incorrectly sauteeing them and following the directions of cook until enough water boils off leads to overcooked mushrooms. Pouring off that water leads to less tasty mushrooms. Stop with the band-aid fixes and address the root of the issue. 

  • 4 weeks ago

    It won't ruin the butter, you just saute them until the water has cooked out. 

  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

    It doesn't ruin the butter.   You just keep sauteing until you're happy with the amount of water that has been released and evaporated.

    Butter itself is 15-30% water.

    If your butter is "ruined", you're doing something wrong, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what.    Maybe you could describe what the actual problem is?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.