Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 1 month ago

Am I wrong for being angry at someone distancing themselves from me?

About 7 months ago me and a close family member (we're both the same age and I see him as a sibling) had a fight over something stupid. He yelled at me first and cursed at me in which I yelled back at him in defense.Of course, our parents found out, yet it felt like it was all blamed on me. 

Since then, we've been super distant. He comes to visit our grandparents every few weeks, and I've tried to move past it (though it still bothered me) and act how we used to but he's still distant. When he's over, he seems uninterested in conversation and is always on his phone with his headphones on. 

I've recently been told that he's still upset about the fight and he's distant because of the way I act. He thinks I'm entitled (which i completely disagree with) and I've asked people if they thought I was entitled, to which they said no. He says it's also the way I act to my own mom, and I don't treat her any other way a teenager would despite our *kinda* rocky relationship. 

Upon finding this out, my feelings have been replaced with anger, but I've been told I'm in the wrong for this. My parents have told me that he'll get over it in time. But, when I'm upset about it, they tell me not to dwell in the past (which they say to everything when I try to explain to them how I feel) which adds to my anger. 

All of this has made my depression and anxiety skyrocket and I have no idea what to do anymore. Are my emotions valid?

• T J

You are best to not talk to or engage into anything with your cousin. It may blow over, maybe not. You do not say what went on, so we cannot tell you more. If you have these mental problems, go get professional help

You're never wrong for feeling your feelings. You can only be wrong in how you express them and what you do in response to them.

• donnie

They must be taking social distancing guidelines form the CDC directly.