Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 4 weeks ago

Do you think it’s homophobic to not want to attend a gay friends wedding?

I grew up in a very religious family, literally church every Sunday and basically the whole lifestyle that comes with having very religious parents. Now as a 23 year old women I am still religious just not as strict with it as my parents would like for me to be. When I went off to college I had the opportunity to meet some amazing people. 

One of my good friends is getting married and he pretty much knows everything about me being religious and obviously prior to now that has never affected our friendship. We’ve been friends for 4 years and there’s mutual respect for both of our different lifestyles we live on each end. His Fiancé is awesome as well and I love them both dearly. They are getting married in February and my friend didn’t invite me because he knows out of respect for my religion I wouldn’t attend a gay wedding. He respects that as we have talked about it in the past but his boyfriend does not. He’s mad at me trying to convince my friend that I’m homophobic and against them being together which isn’t the case at all. I’m trying to explain that I love them and support them but there’s certain things I won’t participate in. Honestly it really sucks because I don’t feel that I am homophobic. I don’t hate anyone and they both have literally slept on my couch when homeless for months so the friendship and love is genuine. My friend understands but his fiancé does not and I don’t know how to make things right. I Need advice I don’t wanna lose them as friends. 

there is nothing in the bible that forbids homosexuality. the destruction of sodom and gomorrah had nothing to do with homosexuality. christians don't read the bible, they only listen to idiots in white costumes. god designed gays to be parents for orphans.

• Archer

So you seem to believe your susceptible to homophobia there for you are Homophobic! Friends, that is true friends, are not friends because they are there to make you feel good. True friends are there to support each other!

• Mike

It is up to your friend to explain to the fiance.

Nothing you say will do anything, if your past actions haven't shown him then the problem is his own fears.

To have a phobia is to have an unreasonable fear of something. Not wanting to attend a gay wedding because of your religious beliefs doesn't make you unreasonably fearful of gay people.

Food for thought. Your gay friend seems to be accepting of your religious beliefs without any caveats. Perhaps you should offer him the same courtesy and attend the event anyway. I'm more than certain that God will understand that you are simply being kind to your friend and not condoning the act.

We are all sinners, my friend. You can't separate yourself from the world. Remember that Jesus broke bread with sinners, and forgave the murderer hanging next to Him while he was on the cross.