How long should you date a person before marrying?

I wish to find a woman with whom to build a strong family. Realistically, what is the shortest amount of time should you date the person before considering making a proposal.

Is half a year too little?

• 3 days ago

Best funny pickup lines from https://bitly.com/33nECfw

• T J

3-5 years. You want to see the true person to come out. the beginning most show only the good side, over time the bad comes out.

one year..............

• Janet

Experts have a few guidelines on this:

- Date for at least 2 years before marrying

- If moving in before the marriage, still date for at least 2 years. Marriages seem to last better if you do not move in until formally engaged.

- In order to have enough life experience and emotional maturity TO make the marriage work, it is best if both parties have lived on their own, independently and self-supporting,for at least 5 years.

• Ian

In my own opinion, 3-5 years. You need to get through the blind love feeling of bliss and see who the person really is which can take years to see who they really are. Everyone puts on their best act for the first year or 2 together. 

This always gets a reaction from people (and my mother still mentions it, 8 years later), BUT I went to a business conference out of town.  I went into the coffee shop.  A gentleman (a speaker) got in line behind me.  He asked if he could buy me a cup of coffee.  I said, "No, but thank you."  He said, "Would this work?  You pay for your own coffee, but I watch you drink it."  I laughed.  I got my coffee and went to a table.  He appeared with his coffee and said, "Well, do I watch you drink your coffee?"  I laughed, and he sat down.  He invited me for dinner that night, and I met him.  Then it was lunch the following day.  We happened to live about 2 hours apart.  The third day we met for dinner, he walked me to my hotel room, and he said, "Some day I'm going to marry you," and I said, "I think you're crazy."

We married 8 weeks to the day we met.  We are still married and have 2 children.

Sometimes you know.