Anonymous

Can losing a child make you suicidal?

Long ago when I was 2 years old, I ran into the road and my father barely caught me.

He pulled me on the nick of time, saving me from getting run over by an upcoming truck. His face was super pale that day, he hugged me a lot for the longest and was in tears. 

Till this day, he claims that if he had failed to save me he wouldn't be able to live with that guilt of getting briefly distracted and losing me. He said he would have grabbed his gun and pulled the trigger on himself. Even now, he would still do that if he ever lost me. He can't imagine living without me. To him, a child should never ever die before the parent.

The poor truck driver wasn't even speeding more drunk. I was so small and he couldn't see me. He broke down and cried too. He couldn't imagine he almost ran over a child...toddler.

Sure it can. Saying and doing are different though. He shouldn't be dwelling on it though. 

• ?

Losing a child is about the worst thing that can happen to someone. But burdening your child with thoughts of your own suicide isn't very productive either. 

• dman63

I think it could.  I know a few people who have lost children, and it’s not something you ever really get over.  You still get on with life, but it’s not something that ever leaves you, and all you can really do is cope.

Yes, it can make a parent lose their ever loving mind & think stupid thoughts.

sounds like it can do that