Anonymous

I feel like on my days off, my roommate forces me to do things..what can I do?

Okay so I work 4-6 days a week at a grocery store and on my days off I'll help my mom with stuff since she's a single mom. However, I feel like if I haven't worked that day, my roommate keeps expecting me to do something around the house constantly. Like even if I've already done my chores I need to do, I can't relax without her thinking I'm lazy..what can I do to stand up for myself . I'd like to add I'm a very passive and non controversial person so I can't stand fighting of any kind. 

Favorite Answer

Have you tried affirmations?  They can help a lot.  You are more submissive than your roommate & you are allowing her to dictate & boss you around.  She is not your mother or your boss.  She has no right to do this to you but you are allowing it.  People treat you the way you allow them to treat you.  Do your affirmations in front of a mirror & look yourself in the eye & repeat the affirmations.  Build your confidence, build your self esteem, recognize the powers within you.  Stand firm on your own two feet, keep your balance. 

• ?

Just let the roommate know you've taken care of your responsibilities around there already.  

• T J

On your day off, do not stay home, get up, just like you are going to work and find some things to do for yourself, outside of the house. Do not let anyone know that you are off.

You either stick up for yourself and have this conversation with your roomie, or you put up with what you have now. No one is going to fight your battle for you, if you want things to change, deal with it. 

maybe you should stay with your mom till you find another place