Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Would a car dealership take a badly damaged car as a trade in if it runs and drives?

Car was involved in 2 separate accidents. The rear quater panel is badly bent and the front bumper cracked, fender is bent, missing parking light and a bunch of other damage. Would the dealerships take it as a trade in since it still drives?

By the way the car was deemed total loss but since it wasn't my fault and i only had liability i was able to keep the car. 

• Bill

They will probably take it in as a trade but don't expect to get much for it.  They will just turn around and sell it to a junk yard.

Yes.   They will take pretty much anything but do not expect a lot of money in trade for it.  

• F

Yes but they’ll just offer you scrap value dressed up as a great deal.

Depends on the dealer. It will be hauled off for scrap if they do and you will get very little for it.

• Scott

They may and it will be either scrapped or sent to auction. They will bury the trade in value in the numbers and you'll probably end up paying for it. They aren't going to lose money on the deal.

• J

Most dealerships will take anything in trade if it means they make a sale. But don’t expect to get much for it. They might offer $500 as a courtesy to you, but they’ll just scrap it. If you actually want a fair price, you should sell it on your own. I don’t know what your car is worth, but if it were me I’d sell it privately if possible. I’d rather sell a car to a person that’s gonna drive it and get $500 than let the dealership junk it for the same amount. Someone who doesn’t have much money might be very happy to buy a beater for cheap. 

I have heard ads offering to take a skateboard in trade. Of course, they actually valued the skateboard at about $1.00.

If you can drive there, you should be able to get at least $200 at a scrap metal yard.

They might, but don't plan of getting much for it.

Yes.  But you would not get much for it.  The dealer would just send it to an auction.

Yes, this is what dealers call a turd. They will fudge with the numbers to make you think you are getting a good trade in and then they sell it to the crushers for $400.