Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 4 weeks ago

Overcoming anxiety ?

So I am a musician, and I just got asked to help someone do a song. I said I’d do it, but I’m terrified for a few reasons. 

1. Will I mess up in front of him?

2. The studio is in a location in unfamiliar with and will be paranoid the whole time.

3. I used to abuse substances when I was younger and am now older, and sober. However, I’m terrified that someone who knows me from my past will remember something I said that was stupid, or bring up a time I acted like an idiot and I will get called out. How do I overcome this?

i know that musicians often rehearse before they go to the studio, because it means less expensive studio time. How about practicing before you go to the studio? You could be up front and tell him you're nervous about this, and spend some time at his house or maybe get a demo. I don't think a demo would require a studio, just a decent mic and a computer. An advantage of this is that you could his get OK for your work before he's spending money on studio time.

Two psychiatrists, Brown and Gerbarg, say a 10 or 20 min slow breathing exercise - 5 breaths a min - is good and 20 min twice a day is a therapy for anxiety. The exercise is inhale and exhale gently, 6 seconds each. You can practice slow breathing before an awkward situation, and during the situation.

Good habit - always respond to a moment of stress by slowing your breath. Info about anxiety in my answers. Click and read.

You overcome this by seeing a good doctor.

He will give you medicine.