Is it worth it for a university graduate to try to get a minimum wage job?

I know people (also uni grads) who have tried to get these kinds of jobs but they seem to have trouble getting them because they have a degree (I'm talking about jobs in retail, restaurants, hotels, parcel services, warehouses, etc). Also, I've been told that managers at these places prefer to hire uni students (not grads) because they can pay them less. Is it even worth it to apply to these jobs as a grad? (I'd only do it for extra money)

• Jay
    Favorite Answer

If you need money it is with it to work even for minimum wage.

....about 10 years ago, my business slowed down a lot and I had to work at a drive thru at night to pay the bills.

It was worth it to me.  The extra $300 a week kept the electricity on and the car full for the 5 months it took me to get enough customers/work so I didn't need the extra job.

I'd do it again, if I had to.

Here is a hint...Take a lot of your education and job experience off of the job application...fast food managers do not like the idea of a person with a degree...a graduate degree working for them.

I hired a college grad at minimum wage as a cook. I asked why he wanted to work for minimum wage. He said he could not find another job and was tired of sitting on his butt.  He cooked, mopped floors & cleaned bathrooms without complaining. So I promoted him to assistant manager quickly. He was smart and quick learner but assistant managers did not get paid a lot. Within about 4 months I had taught him to be a store manager and he was promoted to manager and the pay was still not what college grads expect. But he had management experience and he was not sitting on his duff.

No one cares that you have a bachelor's degree especially if it's in something useless like psychology or women's studies or art history.    I can virtually guarantee you that having a degree is not a barrier to obtaining a minimum wage job especially if you are a new grad.