Would a regular car mechanic be able to install some lowering springs on my suv and how much would it cost?
- Old Man DirtLv 71 month ago
Because the lowering springs will require the vehicle to need a wheel alignment- just take it to a suspension specialist who does the follow up work needed.
They will flat rate the job, after all it is the same thing as replacing stock springs with stock springs when it comes to work time. Shops have different labor rates, where I live I have a shop that charges 35 dollars an hour in half hour increments but there is another shop that bills at 150 dollars an hour in hour increments.
Keep in mind this will limit suspension travel! When you hit a bump hard more energy will be transferred directly into the body because of what are called suspension stops. Those stops are there to keep from ruining the shocks. A shock can only be compressed so far before it bottoms out and does major damage to shocks. Some of which can be 100 dollars a pair or more plus installation.
- elhighLv 71 month ago
To answer your questions:
1) Yes, though he may refuse to do it as it takes the vehicle away from its factory configuration. It'll be within the ability of almost any mechanic though.
2) Probably less than one million dollars. You didn't specify what car, what the mechanic charges, how much lower the springs, etc. Too many variables so any number is just a wild guess.
If your springs only drop you about an inch or so you could probably do it yourself. Personally I never recommend people follow through on questions like this because,
1) If they're asking in the first place they really don't know what they're doing and might not even understand the answer and
2) There is nothing to be gained. Every setting in the vehicle is a compromise made at the factory; every change you make is another one. How lousy a ride are you willing to put up with? How many speed bumps do you want to have to route around? How much money are you willing to throw at this poorly understood idea? What is the goal?
- Anonymous1 month ago
It will cost you your dignity because you will drive around looking like a jackass.