Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleOther - Beauty & Style · 1 month ago

Why should a guy dye his hair?

I just found out that my boyfriend dyes his hair black but he actually is natural blond. While noticing that the hair close to the roots were kind of golden, I asked him and he just told me the truth, he really dyws his hair and I actually had never imagined a guy like him, tall, handsome, a bit old fashioned could dye his hair. Most guys would like to be blond but have brown or black hair while he dyes it black, what's the point of it? Of course he looks great with black hair (he has a fair complexion and blue eyes), but he is a natural blond, why would he want to? He said something like 'I prefer it black cause blond I look younger and too much of a good guy, while with black hair I look completely different'. I told him I wanted so bad to know how he looked blond and he just showed me some pics of when he was 17 and he actually looks like great, but like a shy blond guy, while with black hair he looks so manly and distinctive. I just wonder why most people want to be blond while others just want to have dark hair. He also is not the type to dye his hair (he has no interested in fashion and doesn't like being centre stage)

i understand your perspective, having blond hair is a unique and coveted gene, that even i personally wouldn't mind having. But Your boyfriend, obviously doesn't feel the same way. in my opinion , he probably had a incident in his life, where someone linked his blonde hair to being "unmanly", whatever that means), and this probably scared him and he feels like , he has to prove something. Or maybe, it really is just a style choice, kind of how like a lot of guys don't understand why guys with hair, choose to shave their heads, when so many guys wish they could have their hair back. Anyway, I would talk to him about it some more, and ask if there's anything more to the reason he dyes his hair black, or ask maybe what experience might have caused that. But if all else fails, your going to have accept him for who he is. It sounds like you really care for him, so my advice is to try to talk to him more, and try to find a deeper reason, but don't jeopardize your relationship over looks. It is his body and he can choose what he likes to do with it. Besides, it is what's inside that counts :)

The answer is in your question: "... blond and he just showed me some pics of when he was 17 and he actually looks like great, but like a shy blond guy, while with black hair he looks so manly and distinctive."  He dyes his hair because he knows it makes him look look manly and distinctive and he feels people take him more seriously with dark hair. If he's in a position of authority he probably feels dark hair looks more boss like while as a blonde he looks more like one of the guys and not as boss-like.