Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 1 month ago

I'm having trouble activating my Green Dot Bank Card. What do I do?

My parents got me a Green Dot Bank Card. We tried to activate it. We put in the card's numbers and my information. But after all of that, he said something about an ID number and stuff. Me or my parents don't know what that means or what to do next. My parents are thinking about going to the bank to take the money out of the card, but I just know that's not going to work either. So please, won't someone help us with the whole ID thing? Please explain it to us in a way that me and my parents can understand.

P.S. Please don't troll this. This is serious. You'd be saving us a trip to the bank.

I forgot to mention, calling them won't help either because it always goes to a machine.

It's probably asking for a tax ID number, which is your social security number if you are American.  The tax ID number you use has to be from someone with a credit report who is at least 18, so you may have to use your parent's number if you don't have a credit report or are under 18.

• Jay

And this is the reason that people  warn you against getting these green dot cards.

Go to the place you bought it and ask for help there.

Sorry....they make it difficult...those green dot people.

• Erik

It's unlikely the bank will give you the money back.  I'm sure there's a phone number on the back of the card, call them.

The bank is not going to let you take money off it. There is an 800 number on the back but dialing the phone is hard.