Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

Is Twilight or The Hunger games more popular?

• Zac Z

That's difficult to say as people have different ideas what makes things popular.

I was trying to find sales figures for the two book series but the problem is that the figures I found aren't recent for each of the series. Still, they can give some insight.

The Twilight saga reportedly had sold a total of 120 million copies by 2011, which is 6 years after the first book and 3 years after the last book was published.

The figure I find for the Hunger Games is from 2014, which incidentally is also 6 years after the first book was published (and 4 years after the last book came out) so it's actually really good for comparison. That sales figure in 2014 was 56 million - but it was for US sales alone. Also, Twilight consists of four books whereas the Hunger Games only is made up of three, so these two sales figures might actually be very close.

According to a 2018 article in the NY Times, the "series has more than 100 million copies in print worldwide".

There are several problems with sales figures as indicators for popularity. Apart from them being difficult to obtain, one can not always compare them directly because a series with more installments would be expected to sell more copies on that basis alone; and the question is also at which point in time to compare figures. Twilight came out 3 years earlier than HG and has 3 years more to accrue sales. That time gap will become less relevant over time but it is still relevant now. (Twilight has had 25% longer to sell than HG: 15 years instead of 12.)

You would also expect that popularity wanes over time, so all else equal you'd expect a more recent series to be more popular than an older one.

That would explain why an NPR poll from 2012 on the Best-Ever Teen Novels had the Hunger Games on second place (after Harry Potter): https://www.npr.org/2012/08/07/157795366/your-favo...

Interestingly enough both series had new installments out this year after a longer gap: "Midnight Sun" and "The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes".

The former came out less than 3 months ago on 4 August, the latter was published in mid-May.

While that NPR poll suggests that Twilight has lost its appeal, ending up #27 as opposed to HG on #2, the sales in the first week of publication of these two new books suggest otherwise.

The Guardian reported that "Midnight Sun" sold over 1 million copies in its first week: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/aug/13/as-m...

USA Today reported that the "Ballad" sold more than 500,000 copies in its first week: https://eu.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/books/...

I don't have figures how sales have developed since and can't be sure whether these first-week sales are representative. Of course, this also doesn't account for this year's special circumstances of pandemic lockdowns in some places that were more pronounced at different times during the year that in others (from what I've heard, people read quite a lot during a lockdown).

It could also be that the nature of the books account for the difference in sales: The "Ballad" is a prequel that is set over 60 years before the main series, obviously feature none of the fan favorites but instead focuses on a young not-yet-President Snow, a choice that wasn't met with enthusiasm by all the fans. "Midnight Sun" on the other hand is a retelling of the first Twilight book from Edward's perspective and seems to have garnered more interest among fans.

In conclusion, sales figures for the main series seem to be comparable (taking into account that Twilight was published several years earlier and has one more book) while the available information about the new installments suggests that Twilight currently is the more popular series (with all the caveats I've mentioned).

• Sandy

I liked the Hunger Games better--bookwise and movie-wise. I've had it with vampires and when Bella got pregnant, I was monumentally done. the author should be ashamed of herself. I'll take Anne Rice's vamps any day.