Does white rice sound good in a meatloaf?

Favorite Answer

A meatloaf type mixture with rice in it and made into little balls is called Porcupine Meatballs.  

If you put raw rice in a meatloaf and baked it as a loaf there would not be enough moisture that would get to the rice to cook and soften/hydrate it. 

Adding cooked rice to a meatloaf mixture would stretch it but it would not add much flavor. 

I would add sautéed vegetables like onion and peppers to the meat mixture and make a rice dish to serve on the side. 

• garry

only is the rice is boiled first. use cooked rice not new dry rice .

Yeah, if you can cook it as a rice roulade with ground beef.

Absolutely. Rice will not flavor the meatloaf and will make a good filler so that it goes further. We use that often, instead of cracker crumbs, if we have left over cooked rice.

• Anton

Meatloaf is one of those things you can throw anything into.

Generally, a meatloaf includes a starch -- oatmeal, bread crumbs, cooked rice.

Not to me, it's usually served as a side dish rather than as an ingredient in the dish. You could do it if you want to though. 

Ground beef with rice would be a filling for stuffed peppers or stuffed cabbage(also known as golabki.) 

Not IN, but for a side. This is how I grew up eating meatloaf.

I use oatmeal and toasted stale bread. 

No.   It would remind me of tapeworm segments.  

In a pinch I have used oatmeal which was ok. 

Really, there are better things to make with ground meat than meatloaf.