Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 month ago

How much does a doula make a year?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • J
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

I really wouldn’t know how much they make, but I’d guess it’s a wide range. It probably depends on how many births they participate in each year, how experienced they are, what kinds of services they offer, and how wealthy their clients are. I’m also guessing most of them don’t really do it for the money. Most midwives/doulas chose that career because they like to take care of people and be a part of creating new life. If they were in it for the money, they would have became doctors instead. 

• MissA
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Depends on how much she works, where she lives, and how popular she is (which determines what she can charge).  In NYC allegedly a "top" doula can charge $3500 for *just* the birth... no postpartum support or anything.

'Round these parts the baby hospital that seems to handle a lot of the lower-income births (Planned Parenthood refers the women who choose to continue their pregnancies to them) charges a flat fee of $525 for up to 10 hours of a doula's service, although obviously the hospital takes their cut of that.  $50/hour seems to be a reasonable number.  If you work full-time that's a very good wage, even for a pricy metro area like ours... though it can be hard to work full-time in any profession where you have to be able to respond quickly to your patients at random times.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.