Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 4 weeks ago

Can saying a boss gives preferential treatment defamation?

I was interviewed at work regarding instances of favouritism by a boss towards an employee. 

I said that it seems as though he gives preferential treatment. Is this defamation? The boss is going around saying he is going to sue everyone for it.

Thanks 

Truth is a defense.  If he does NOT favor a specific employee and can PROVE he does not favor the employee, yes, any comments to the contrary are defamatory and actionable.

If it is the truth - then let him sue. In a lawsuit is it is the plaintiff's responsibility to prove it is not true.

Where I live, these are the requirements for a defamtion lawsuit:

That someone made a false statement of purported “fact” about you:    That the statement was made (“published”) to a third party;    That the person who made the statement did so negligently, recklessly or intentionally; and,    That as a result of the statement, your reputation was damaged.

• Tavy

No you spoke the truth. Your boss is stupid if he thinks suing is free and he has to show it was not the truth.

He won't.  If he does, he won't win.