Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 month ago

Does the American-dream still exist?

Why do Americans think it's okay to work

3 jobs to be able to afford a one-room studio?  

Wouldn't your time be better spent protesting

and demanding union-jobs be brought back?

America was founded on slavery and ignorance is why zxjqk

. . . . . . . . . .

, , , , , , , , , ,

• Foofa

The "American Dream" has also always included the upward mobility of education and the freedom to move about this large land in search of the kind of lifestyle one wants. I personally don't think it's "okay" to live in a place where you have to work three jobs to survive unless at the same time you're in school, training or working toward something better. I was born and raised in a relatively expensive city. But I wouldn't have hesitated to move elsewhere if I'd been unable to get into a line of work that could offer me a decent life. I've never understood why people persist in trying to live in places where they can't afford the basics of a nice life. The offshoring of low skilled jobs is a huge problem and it would be great to offer some kind of tax incentive to get manufacturers to move back to the US. But the government can't force that to happen (and still call itself the United States) so instead of waiting around for low skilled jobs to return maybe people should be training to get into more lucrative jobs that already exist. If a certain kind of person (urban Millennial) didn't have such disdain for blue collar workers they'd recognize that plumbers and dental assistants aren't having to work three jobs and on average earn more than most Liberal Arts grads. The "new economy" is certainly tough. but the elitism and snobbery of some people is holding them back. Why some who wear the title of "barista" scoff at electricians and others with manual labor jobs who make a lot more money is curious. 

• Zirp

because they believe that capitalism is freedom and collectivism is evil

• helene

No one has to work 3 jobs to afford an apartment. If you do, your apartment is too nice. 

Your time would be better spent in ONE full-time job that pays enough to cover a reasonable rent and living expenses.

I like to find love again and travel I hear Colorado nice