Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceSmall Business · 1 month ago

Should I continue to do work?

I have recently found out my job will be going out of business next month. My boss has told other stores that are going out of business that they don’t have to do work, but didn’t tell me. He has always tried to be low down to everyone in the company and have his picks and chooses. Should I continue to do my work or just chill until it’s closing day?

• Jay
    Favorite Answer

Continue to work.  Ask your boss if you will get a written recommendation when the place closes.  (You kinda need that to get another job)

If you quit now, you will NOT get unemployment which means NO MONEY until 2 weeks after you get a new job.

If you wait until the place closes, you will have effectively been 'laid off' and you will be entitled to unemployment ...and that will make the job search easier.

ESPECIALLY if you have a written recommendation from the boss.

As others have said, continue working while looking for a new job.  Also remember that if you work till company goes out of business you will be eligible for unemployment but if you just stop now, will be considered quitting and not eligible for unemployment.

You are there to do a job, do it till they close.  If he didn't need you there to work you would be let go by now. 

Continue to work and look for another job.  Give your starting day as the day after the business you work for closes.

• R P

Start looking for another job.

In the meantime, continue working at your current job until the store actually closes.  It's rather silly to quit now and lose out on a paycheck.