Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 4 weeks ago

I just told a polling call I am voting Biden. I'm actually voting Trump. Do you think a lot of people do this?

This is about the 4th or 5th polling call I have gotten in the last few months.  I always push the Biden number, but I am actually voting Trump. I have several reasons.  I want to mess up their polling data and I do not want vengeful Leftists the chance to have access to my info and plan harm against me.  Do you think lying to polls is common?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

Considering the left might burn your house down if they know you support Trump no one admits they are voting for him.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

No, I don't. 

This is a variation of an argument that Trump supporters have been making since 2016 to try and reconcile their intuitive belief that he's popular with the empirical fact that he does terribly in the polls.  The most common version is that there are a lot of Trump voters out there who are embarrassed to admit that they're voting for him.  You're using a slightly different variation which says that we've got Trump voters who are intentionally lying in order to distort the polls.  This doesn't make sense for a number of reasons. 

First, the polls, at least the national ones, were basically accurate in 2016.  The final batch showed Clinton with around a 2% lead over Trump and that's about where she finished once all the votes were counted.  So it's clear that in 2016 any shy Trump voters, or intentionally deceptive ones, were minimal at best.

Second, I don't buy the motivation here.  The idea of "shy" Trump voters never made any sense since, for better or worse, his entire political message is about being proud and demonstrative about supporting him.  It also doesn't make sense that people would lie about it.  Trump supporters, like Trump himself, are obsessed with proving that he's great and awesome and popular.  You guys don't want the polls to show that he's doing poorly, you want them to show that he's awesome and everyone knows it.  So I don't think that any significant number of Trump supporters are lying. 

Third, and related to that, is the fact that Trump is so far behind in the polls that we're talking about a massive number of people who would all have to be intentionally lying in order for Trump to be ahead.  And the problem is that the polls almost all show similar results and all go in the same direction (a strong Biden lead).  So you'd have to have a situation where every polling company, for every poll they did, would have to keep unintentionally and randomly calling up pretty much the exact same percentage of Trump supporters who are intent on lying to them in order to skew the polls.   We've also got the fact that the movement of the polls has generally coincided with events which we would expect to hurt Trump.  Biden opened up a large lead earlier this month when Trump gave a truly atrocious debate performance and then caught Covid in the same week.  So you're expecting us to believe that not only are all these polling companies randomly calling up the exact same percentage of lying Trump supporters, but that these Trump supporters are all intentionally lying in a manner designed to mimic real world erosion of support for Trump?  Remember Occam's Razor: the simplest explanation is most likely correct.  Trump's bad poll numbers aren't because there's legions of die hard Trumpers out there lying to the pollsters.  It's because he's unpopular and getting more unpopular.

• Mike L
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

I tell everyone I'm voting Trump because I live in a racist backwoods mostly white area. I don't want to be shot by these violent intolerant people. So, yes. 

• Rick
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

don't think they even do THAT, just blow some numbers out of their butt and cash the check ...............

TRUMP 2020 !! ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Tovarich!  You get American polling calls in Moscow?

• 4 weeks ago

When I can tell they are polling to develop campaign strategy , I always lie .

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

you should be embarrassed about voting trump.

it makes you look insane.

• 4 weeks ago

Why would you want to mess up their polling numbers?

• 4 weeks ago

Trump voter shame is a very real phenomenon.  

• 4 weeks ago

Yes more than 2016 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.