Kat asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 month ago

American Murder : Netflix movie about male spouse murder?

"In America three women are killed by their current or ex partner everyday."

"Partners who murder their children and partner are most often men."

"Their crime is virtually always premeditated."

I watched this movie this past week and it was actually very good. At the very end it had a black screen with these quotes above. I was pretty shocked that they made the movie point in regards to fathers/husdands vs just spouse/parent. 

Any other thoughts? 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Being shocked that Netflix made such a film is like freaking out that the water in your bathtub is wet. You might want to take a gander at the creators Netflix penned overall deals with last year. 

• God
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Yeah that's false. Men and children are more likely to be seriously injured by women. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yeah. While the factoids may be a starting off point, they shouldn't be the END point. Fact check them, double fact check them, then take a look at what they're NOT saying. There's an implication (no doubt) in the movie, an agenda. Does the agenda match with reality? 

For example, let's assume that the three statements are true. 

First statement. So what? Needs context. It means one thing if the population of America is a million and something VERY different if the population of America is 330 million. 

Second statement. Gosh. That's awful. And? Should we ban men? Is the point just 'men are bad'? Shall we go into what WOMEN do? Would the director like that? Shall we, for example, examine who does most of the child abuse? 

Third statement: So what? If one is going to kill, yeah, one would probably want to think it through first. I'm betting MOST major crime is premeditated. What's the take away supposed to be here? That men aren't very emotional? OK. Then women are MORE emotional. Oh, but isn't that sexism? 

All I'm saying is "Your thoughts are YOUR responsibility. If you want to let your mind be spoon fed and not examine what they're feeding you, that's on you."

• liz
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Intimate partner homicides involving guns are increasing.  Homicides involving other weapons such as knives or other objects are decreasing but not homicides caused by guns. 

https://time.com/5702435/domestic-violence-gun-vio...

It’s hard for women to report when their partners abuse them. They often depend on the men for financial support and they still want their children to continue seeing their father.  They often feel shame and embarrassment about the situation they’re in, so they carry on, hoping he will change.  Until it’s too late.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

"American Murder : Netflix movie about male spouse murder?"

So "In America three women are killed by their current or ex partner everyday."

This equates to 1095 women each year.  The current population of the US is roughly 330 000 000 people of which half, or 165 000 000 are women.  If we do some quick math this means that the rate of women being murdered is 0.000006636363636 or 0.000664%

That is extremely low, and I am surprised that a movie about male spousal murder would not inflate these numbers as so often happens.  Remember the Mary Koss study that went to great lengths to bring us the deception that 1 in 4 women (or 25%) would be raped??  Have a look at this murder rate again ...0.000664%

That's what I'm talking about .

While no number of murders represents anything good, the chances of spousal murder in the US appears surprisingly (and thankfully) sparse.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I think most murders are premeditated when they are someone the person knows. Things have been building up for a long time. Men are not the only ones who murder current or ex-partners either. Jodi Arias viciously murdered her off and on bf because he wouldn't commit to her. Clara Harris ran her husband over with her Mercedes for having an affair. Women have slowly poisoned their husbands for life insurance payouts. I watch true crime on TV all the time.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.