Do I have to agree to their stipulations?

My adult daughter had been abusing me so I came to stay with my cousin in another city.  I had 2 eye surgeries and my ear is deformed. 

Now,  I would like to go back to my home and heal things with my daughter before she moves out. 

My cousin had her attorney draft a declaration which she wants me sign which details that I left from my home voluntarily and details the injuries. 

Now, I made modifications to the document and she added stipulations stating how and when I would talk to my daughter and that my daughter would have to move out of my home and she would have to see a rental agreement.  She also states that my daughter must go to counseling for 6 months before we can be under the same roof. 

She also wanted wellness checks weekly to see that I am not abused again.

I do not agree to the stipulations and am not signing the document. 

I had added a statement about her not contacting the DA's office.  She said if I delete that statement, the stipulations can be deleted.  


I wanted to have it say - if further abuse occurs, then the DA's office may be contacted.

How can I get around her stipulations which I feel are an invasion of my relationship with my daughter? 

6 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    Do not sign anything with advice from an attorney.

    You CANNOT legal waive your rights.  Your daughter CANNOT waive her legal rights.

    You CANNOT enforce a stipulation that the DA will not be contacted.

    I do notice that when your daughter beat you up, you had nowhere to go and fled to your cousin's house, you didn't think your cousin's actions were evasive.

  • 1 month ago

    You sign nothing. Completely ignore them.  Not sure why you would even consider signing in the first place, or why they think you need to.  You have ZERO obligation to sign anything.

  • 1 month ago

    Do not sign the stipulations.  Do not sign anything.  Stop wasting your time on your daughter.  Consult your own attorney for advice.

  • Tavy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    You don't have to sign anything, you are not a child who is being told what to do.

    You can take advice from your own attorney.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Katy M
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    You do not have to sign a contract of any sort with your cousin to move back home.  You also don't need to sign a contract to allow the DA or the police to be informed if a crime occurs. This whole thing sounds very odd.

  • 1 month ago

    You should contact the DA in any event, to get the situation on the record. NEVER seek legal advice here. Certain people will steer you wrong just for a laugh, or out of ignorance tell you things that are not correct. Find legal aid near you if necessary. If you don't have money for a lawyer, ask the DA's office if they can refer you to one who does pro bono work.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.