Shay asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Asking a co-worker to be the child's God-parent?

I recently came across a post here where a wife was upset with her husband because he has befriended a younger co-worker on his job.  They recently hired her and he was partially responsible for training her.  She's been with the company almost a year.  He's 51 and she's 30, pregnant with her 3rd child.  Anyway, the guy and this girl are really friendly and have kept things above board as far as work is concerned.  The wife is upset that this young girl haw asked her husband to be the child's god-father once it's born.  In reading the responses to the question many have said that there must be something going on between this girl and the husband for her to name him as the god-father.   One person even made the comment that "you do not name your co-worker as the god-parent."  My question is why not?  If this girl and guy have forged a friendship who are we to tear it down simply because she wants him to be her child's god-father?  And the wife seemed upset because she didn't ask her to be the god-mother, even though this girl and the wife have never even spoken or met.  My take on it is this.  You can name anyone you see fit as the god-parent.  Maybe this girl sees him as a role model, mentor, or positive figure that could benefit her child.  Again, I see nothing wrong if that's what she wants to do.  What do you guys think?

i dont see anything wrong with that

• T J

I agree with you 100%

• Cogito

Any really close long-time friend or family member can be a god-parent but it should always be a joint decision by the parents.  If one objects, then it's not appropriate.