Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 1 month ago

Do you think it’s appropriate to interrogate your adult kids when they go out?

I’ve been dating around for a while and I tell my mom that I’m hanging out with a friend whenever I try to go out. Whenever I tell her i’m going out I have to tell her where i’m going, who i’m going with, what will I be doing, etc. and then she likes to blow up my phone while i’m out. 

I’m 21...

tell her you are an adult and do what you want, also turn off your phone when you leave the house

Absolutely not, you're an adult and turn your phone off.

Be careful she isn't showing signs of narcissism. My mum doesn't like me having anything to do with anyone. She's abusive and controlling in that respect. That's just a drop in the ocean.

• Alan H

It is good she is interested

But she does not need to know all the details....you are an adult

Lol I’m 28, don’t even live with my mum but she does the same thing! I usually give my mum vague answers like: where are you going? - “out”. Who are you going with? - “A friend”. What time will you be home - “when I’m ready to go home”. You need to tell me where you’re going in case something happens to you!! - “Im an adult, i can take care of myself”

Turn your phone OFF then you go out.  Simple solution

If you still live at home then at least tell her when you will be back home. It's just respectful, she cares about you and is having a problem letting go of the apron strings. 

If you are spending her money I can understand her being mad. 

If you are spending your own money then sit her down like adults, maybe even take her out to coffee and talk to her. Try not to get angry. Just explain to her that you aren't doing dangerous funny things and you are being responsible etc tell her you love her and you know she's just worried but to please give you some freedom. 

If none of this works, move out.

I think it's inappropriate to sponge off your parents and then complain that they treat you like a child.

If you want to be treated like an adult, move out and pay your own way in life.

With adult freedom comes adult responsibility. 

• edward

I have been on my own since i was 18 but my sister was the one who gives me the third degree...we were living together.  I have blocked her before.  But she wants to be able to pick a girl out of a line up if something terrible happens to me.