Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 month ago

Being vegan and working on the road. Options? ?

Hey I'm vegan and I'm about to start a job (USPS Carrier) where I'll be out and moving a lot. Any good healthy recipe ideas for a job like that. I want to stay full of energy without getting food poisoning lol Thanks. 

• Louis

You will need some accessories. At least a lunch box with a thermos. I really like the ones made by Stanley. but they are expensive. You can usually find them at garage sales.  A small cooler also helps. If you can't get water readily then you will want one of those Coleman coolers that can hold a gallon. I also like the Stanley wide-mouth thermoses. And maybe some of those little reusable nylon snack bags. 

For snacking on the go I like GORP or granola. You can make your own granola once a week and then have it all week long. And you can make your own trail mix, too. the energy bars get pretty expensive and a lot of them aren't vegan but you can make your own energy or protein balls pretty easy. 

Sandwiches are pretty handy. Try taking a page out of Subway and make your own six-inch veggie Delites. You can also make up a bunch of burritos and freeze them and just heat one or two up before going to work. 

If you get that wide mouth thermos you can bring leftovers from the night before. Things like lentil stew over potatoes, and Cuban black beans over rice are cheap, easy and nutritious. 

I doubt that being vegan would make you full of energy.

Avocado, lettuce, tomato, mayonaisse, and onion sandwiches.

Meal prep foods that can be kept cold in an insulated bag/cooler. Or get thermos containers to keep things hot or cold. Pack in a suitable pack, bag, cooler. So all the healthy meals you eat at home, you can eat after packing it with you. 

Scope out restaurants that serve food you like order ahead, pickup or eat in for hot meals.

You are over thinking taking food to work with you. Remember people have been taking entire days worth of good with them for years, before there were microwaves, portable fridges. To keep stuff cold, freeze a few water bottles and other drinks, place in a water proof canvas bag, toss in food to be kept cold, as the liquid melts, you have something cold to drink with your meal/snacks.

A vacuum thermos or two, should keep soup/chili hot for 12+ hours. Put breakfast in one, lunch in another, ziplock bags or plastic containers for snacks. 

Best of all, no worries of getting food poisoning, as long as the food was hot/cold before it was put in the clean vacuum thermos. Been doing it myself since I was in my 20s. 63 now. 

Always carry some almonds with you, especially almonds and walnuts. Also some apples. 

• CB

Buy a small soft cooler (basically a lunch bag with self contained ice pack- just toss it in the freezer every night). No worries, you could also freeze a bottle of water and keep food cool and have cold water in the afternoon. No worries about spoilage and you don't need any different lunch recipes - just what you normally eat - just eat it cold.