Goan asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

Why is it considered scarring for children to see adults having sexual intercourse?

Animals don't seem to mind their children seeing adults having sex so why do humans see it as psychologically scarring? Is it a social concept that has caused it to be this way?

• rick
    Favorite Answer

I was the worst parent on the block.  I wouldn't let my kids watch violent Saturday cartoons, and shows where the "hero" executed the bad guys without due process. No  "Dirty Harry" at my place. I never kept them from watching nudity or sex and lovemaking. My kids are well adjusted, and are contributing members of society. The neighbor's kids still live at home and have drug and alcohol problems. The other neighbor hood kids seem to have relationship problems. But I'm STILL the worst parent on the block.

I would MUCH rather my kids watch sex than violence.   We used to say "Make love, not war". I think that's more appropriate now than ever.

Yes, it's a social concept.