Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 month ago

My ex husband is causing trouble for our son?

My ex bought a car for our son , now he is threatening to take the car away, I had no idea why, but it has something to do with our sons girlfriend. 

My ex still pays me 120 per month, i cant lose that so im staying out of this mess. 

Sounds like your ex is punishing your son for doing something wrong.    Your instincts are probably correct.  This is him being a proper father.  

You should stay out of it. It's between your son who is old enough to drive and his father who bought the car. It's not about you. 

Child support can be court ordered if he stops payments. 

Buy your kid a car. This way, your child is in control.

The only way a teenager should have a car is if he has a job. If he has a job. He can help with car payments and be in control of his own car.

Help your son become independent. When a car is used as blackmail, drama follows.

Stay out of the ex's hair and help your son with a car so he can work. Even if you need to borrow money from a relative.

• T J

When your son walks out because you do not support him in this, you will not be getting anymore money for him.  So you go ahead and stay out of this...see how far that gets you. BTW...what kind of mother are you?

• n2mama

If you are staying out of this mess, why bother posting about it? You didn’t ask a question, so not really sure what you are expecting here. If your son is an adult and the car is titled in his name, then there isn’t anything to be done about it anyway. If the car isn’t in your sons name, then it isn’t his car.

If  the car is in your son's name, his father can't just take it away.  Not legally.  

If the car was a gift, to take it away would be theft. 

• Kelley

You can ask your husband is there anything wrong