What is a first driving lesson like ?

I have my first driving lesson and I am really nervous. I ask myself questions like what if I brake or accelerate too hard? What if I can’t steer the wheel properly and I go into something or over a curb? What if someone foolishly pulls out in front of me or hits into the back of me and I have an accident? I can’t shake the nerves off, no matter how much I try to. I would like to know what first lessons are like, and whether they will chuck me straight into the deep end or not.

It's jsut like any other lesson you were given. You can accept it and learn, or you can fret, argue and be hard headed, and not learn.

I took my daughter to a huge empty parking lot when she was 10 and taught her how to drive a car with a manual transmission.

She took the driving test with my wife's car with an automatic transmission, and there was nothing to it.

Everyone should learn on a manual - I did when I was 8 on a dirt road in the country.

• Scott

What if you just turned off your vivid imagination and just went to the lesson with an open mind. They will teach you all the basics, that's what you are paying them to do.

It's good to try to get the feel of a car in a safe place, like a parking lot, with a parent, and this might allay your nerves a little.

Driving instructors are well used to starting with people with no experience, and you're not going to go racing off out of control while they are there.

So , they will not chuck you straight into the deep end.

A little valiam/diazapam is recommended:  you tend to get nervous and make mistakes when you realize they are writing their report on whether or not you should ever be allowed to get a license.

• CB

Don't worry about it, just be honest with the driving instructor (no experience whatsoever) and he/she will take you to an empty parking lot and practice until he/she feels that you are safe enough to go out on a not too busy road. 

Your parents should take you to an empty parking lot and let you get a feel for things like that. {Ditto if you live in an area that gets ice and snow. You need to practice to get experience.}